GoodHuman is your one-stop shop for sustainable products and ethical brands. Easily find and shop brands and products that are all vetted, all good, discover a feed of infinite sustainable inspiration tailored to your interests, and save money through discount codes for over 300 brands.
There are various certifications that apply to materials, ingredients, and practices associated with our favorite fashion, beauty, and home products. The following 16 certifications and mission-driven associations are highly valued in GoodHuman’s vetting methodology for brand and product inclusion:
- BLUESIGN – products with this certification have been vetted to ensure all chemicals, processes, materials, and products are safe for the environment, workers, and end customers.
- Certified B Corp – indicates companies that are assessed for their performance in the following areas: governance, workers, community, and environment.
- Cradle to Cradle Certified – indicates products that are assessed for environmental and social performance across five categories: material health, material reuse, renewable energy and carbon management, water stewardship, and social fairness.
- Environmental Working Group (EWG) Verified – indicates products that are committed to not using any toxic chemicals, providing full transparency of ingredients, and using only good manufacturing processes.
- Fair Trade Certified – indicates products that are made according to rigorous social, environmental, and economic standards and assessed for product traceability, income sustainability, community and individual wellbeing, empowerment, and environmental stewardship.
- Global Recycled Standard (GRS) – indicates products that are made with a minimum of 20% recycled materials that meet the International Organization for Standardization’s definition of recycled, in addition to reducing the harmful impact of production to people and the environment specifically through the prohibition of potentially harmful chemicals.
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) Certified – indicates products that meet high-level environmental criteria along the entire organic textiles supply chain, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing, and comply with strict social criteria.
- Leaping Bunny Approved – indicates products that do not conduct or commission animal tests, and do not use any ingredient or formulation that is tested on animals.
- Made Safe Certified – indicates products that guarantee that all raw ingredients have been vetted by an independent third party and ensure that none are known to cause human health harm.
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 – indicates products that have been tested for harmful substances in every aspect of the garment and in every stage of production, including processing, dying, and finishing.
- PETA’s Animal Test-Free Certified – indicates companies and brands that have verified that they and their suppliers do not conduct, commission, pay for, or allow any animal testing for their ingredients, formulations, or finished products and that they will never do so in the future.
- SA8000 Standard – indicates factories and organizations that are assessed for their performance in eight areas regarding social accountability: child labor, forced or compulsory labor, health and safety, freedom of association and right to collective bargaining, discrimination, disciplinary practices, working hours, remuneration, and management systems.
- USDA Certified Organic – indicates food and agricultural crops that are grown and processed according to federal guidelines addressing, among many factors, soil quality, animal raising practices, pest and weed control, and use of additives.
- Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP) Certified – indicates facilities that comply with socially responsible global standards for manufacturing and ensure that manufactured products are produced under lawful, humane, and ethical conditions.
- Certified Vegan – indicates products that do not contain animal products or byproducts and have not been tested on animals.
- 1% for the Planet – indicates companies that have committed to donate the equivalent of 1% of gross sales through a combination of monetary, in-kind, and approved promotional support directly to environmental nonprofits.
We also consider partnerships with environmental and humanitarian organizations such as the UN’s 10 principles, Surfrider Foundation, and The Rainforest Alliance, among others, when considering brands to be on our platform.
Curious about a specific certification or want to get involved in our community of changemakers? Download the GoodHuman app and submit some feedback.